seeking the wild of the everyday

Friday, October 10, 2014

autumnal joys

it's true: it's been 90 degrees. friends tell me of how they've seen birds trying to build nests. my favorite oaks dropped their acorns at the end of august. my mom's pear tree has blossoms on it. i tell my kids about the rainy falls i used to remember; the mushroom hunting. mercury is in retrograde, and this drought makes me as ornery as a woodpecker with a headache....but we continue.
 i'll take the shadows, the coolness that comes with the dark. i'll pretend the leaves on the ground dropped by distressed trees are of the seasonally appropriate variety. we cut out pumpkins from construction paper and learn about Samhain, praying for rain. teddy had a birthday so naturally linky tells me everyday that it is "mine bertday, mommy."




cute little farm near loomis.

thrilled.


we call her 'the mother.'

and she could feed us all winter. LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THIS ACORN!

the boys play on the rope swing while i gather from the bounty. it's pretty much my ideal evening.

and a lot of the nuts come cracked. so perfect. it's time for acorn flour.

i took my sisters to this tree the night before i got married, you know, my bachelorette party. ;)


oh the foodshed of the mild climate!! it's year round, blessed are we!

the bitterest fruits of drought, the burning of beloved forest, as seen from roseville! :(

the slight cooling perks up my roses and aloe.

look at these kids! tyler's sister alyssa came all the way from montana with luke and marlee in tow. :)

high hill


and the adjoining pumpkin patch


every september the passion flower vine at the whole foods gets swarmed with fritillary caterpillars. i took one home with some leaves. later that week a landscaping crew was ripping the passion flower out... i tried to tell them it was the only habitat for the butterfly but the plant was already out!
she built a little chrysalis and hatched on the rainy day and flew away. i'm going to plant some passion flower for the fritillary and some milk weed for the monarch. :)

the best day ever. this rain saved my fruit trees. i hope they hold on until the next rain. i want it to rain like i want to breathe.


samuel taylor SP, near san raphael and point reyes. so many quick and whirlwind-ish spur of the moment trips seem to be what i am made of...but it turns out i need more grounding, more routine, because it just spins the twister in me faster and i MUST TURN OVER EVERY STONE, and there is no peace. or that's what the internet says about my vata dosha, anyhow. :)

olema nap. :)

the sun! the salt! my favorite spa treatment. 


hobo dinner.

tent mornings.

duxbury reef, bolinas.

tide's a comin'!

teddy could check out tide pools all day. sometimes i feel like a inter-tidal creature: facing the pounding waves and the scorching sun.

ahh, the gospel flat farm stand in bolinas. love talking about what does/doesn't grow/swapping climate tales with other farmers.


stinson beach with my friend rachel and her sweet family. she is soothing her vata with moist warm sand. :) she is training to be a midwife!!

this mother and son are both seven years old. 
 i kept a journal when i was pregnant with teddy at 18/19. it's even agonizing to pick up, but i read the pages where i placed teddy for adoption and when he came back to me. it's a doozy. look at us now!
these boys are the same color as the roseville prairie.
 i can't find his birthday party pictures, but if charlie brown did a scrappy special on birthday parties, teddy's would look very similar. we had a pin the cap on the mushroom game, chocolate chip cookies, and one sad balloon hanging from a light fixture that teddy hung himself. SUCCESS!! :) of course grandma tami threw a party for teddy too, complete with streamers, cheesecake, and a flying helicopter. !!!
taking a pic of teddy, and link ran in! they crack me up.

oh boy , did i have to bribe teddy for this open mouth grin.

this is his preferred portrait. he told me to "keep it forever."

caught this little sweetheart looking over the walking trail bridge.
tea and zuchinni at carolyn's house.

she has a rockin' food forest in rocklin, and she's helping me with my spinning. all of my kindred spirits tend to be older than 60. hmm... 
i love persimmons! the fruits of the late harvest are my favorite.
praying for rain! happy for the little things that bring more awareness into my world.
xoxo


3 comments:

  1. me too me too me too! my poor soul is so parched right now. i was so happy when i thought maybe we were going to be getting a rainy fall...but october's not looking so moist. next tuesday maybe? I check the weather way too often.

    it looks like you are finding some perfect antidotes like getting away to the sea and salt, napping in the shade in bolinas, visiting with farmer crones and spinning. you make me long for more two day trips, i've always been a big fan of the tiny road trip. but with a hubby who only gets one sporadic day off here and there, it's just not like it used to be. maybe when the girls are a little bigger i'll be more confident to pack them up and go alone, or join you on an adventure!

    your children are gorgeous creatures. there is something haunting and so vital about teddy's preferred portrait. i do think you'll keep it forever. SEVEN. what a perfect age.

    also, totally superficially...i like your bangs.

    also, i don't think i've been to the pumpkin patch at high hill...it's so cute!

    xoxo love love love and raindrops GALORE PLEASE

    ReplyDelete
  2. moly mloy I love those adorable boys!!! why are they the cutest??? linky sneaking in and teddys pic. swoon. You are a lucky momma just full of spirit!! I took that pic at the mother on your last night a unwed girl. remember we tried to get teddy to take it a few times but it was soo crazy blurry or you could just see our feet :) good times xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your passion dolly, you are inspiring and I'm just now reading this in the earliest hours of All Saints', I'm glad this was three weeks back, and maybe some rain has fallen. and I love the 2-3 day jaunts you embark on--truly uncovering every stone. I can relate.

    ReplyDelete