seeking the wild of the everyday

Thursday, January 15, 2015

january, yet

it's been full. busy. with work and kids a sporadic blog post is always just the tip of the iceberg.
N.Y.E. and a 9pm bed time. :)
 so, yeah, a lot of photos. paying attention to intuition, and how i feel.

the inner shifts feel like earthquakes.
like birth.

today i sat down with a new pink skein of yarn and some needles; i really intend on finishing a project.
i'm looking for some land to farm on.


january first alongside the american river.







makes a mom's insides churn: grab onto that baby!

winter friends.

help me mom!

beek's bight, near folsom lake.



teddy

ooo, link can't stay comfortable to save his life! playing in the one swampy burdocky area. ;)

monolith

(forgotten from the last blog post: waterfall hike selfie. :) )
 i am awed with the amount of life that passes through my backyard.

i can finally see it.
 a hairstory:
 i realize i depend on my hair too often to define my identity. i wanted to shake things up, allowing myself to look different on the outside so my insides could become more flexible.
i went to a hip salon in sacramento!



feeling very uncertain with the decisions i am making pertaining to appearance.


bleaching takes a long time. how frightening!
their reaction.

tyler made me dinner. haha. 

(relieved sigh.) it was worth leaving the comfort zone for.


roseville is a beautiful place.



 suburban winter/january 15, 2015
there are some days when we avoid being in the car completely. this is progress to me. we wander the neighborhood in the chilliest breath of a lingering evening.

now there are places that are sacred.
play with ernie

pack all of your toys for a walk. teddy doesn't want linky to bring so many toys!

linky persists. the toys come.

the sky pinkens.
 i'm anxious for rain.



 it's been a few years since i've learned that being outside cures me of any domestic/suburban/spiritual/mundane ailment i have--- i leave the cluttered house, my children climb and run and discover; i sit with my thoughts. i learn things.

we can walk through a swamp to the safeway. where all of their dreams come true. teddy's clutching his bag of coins; he bought his own donut. 

my dreams come true, too.

a tiny lesson in suburban permaculture:
ahhh......just a girl and her compost pile. all of this matter came from our kitchen scraps, to be used to grow more food!

compost selfies. because love.

save your cardboard!

rule number one of permaculture: start small! don't go out and buy a bunch of plants! oops....bare root season can do things to a girl. (olives, goji, rhubarb, kiwi, etc.... you have to be able to see into the future to plant such scrawny things with hope. :)  )

hauling compost and leaf litter from the backyard, in the ZONE. i'm using what the area of my yard produces, allowing it to be more productive. permaculture is about assessing what you already have access to, rather than bringing in more resources and energy.

like these special star blossoms that fall like snow in the back yard, the sound of happy bees filling the air. this goes into the compost piles i prep for plants, to decompose and feed the roots with all of that sweet pollen.


from lawn to fruit tree/garden bed, any plant, etc: 1. soak cardboard. 2. layer with compost, nitrogen rich leaf duff, straw, whatever you have, let it decompose! the weight of the nutrient rich layers, on top of decomposing cardboard, compacts and breaks down the grass and roots to create yet another layer of rich soil! plant.
plant near the neighbor's border for thirstier plants: your plants can at least benefit from the over-watering of their lawn.   !!! (recycling for the win.)



soon i'll post pictures from work, i just don't have any because there is nothing but bustle at a popular cafe! so far so good, though. it feels right.

xoxo
polly compost

3 comments:

  1. okay all your january flotsam and jetsam is the coolest, the tiny bones and skulls and teeth and twigs and fluff....contents of an owl's belly? Luckiest little earth trinkets, I feel the stories in her skin and time coming through your page.

    I LOVE YOUR PURPLE HAIR! Your sentiments on hair change reflect what i've been thinking, but not sure how to go about the change, or maybe it will just be a slight change, or maybe my identity is too tied up in : I-trim-it-myself-it's-long-and-graying-and-wild-and-i don't-care-a-tiny-bit. ?! Haaa, could it be, me who always says change is the only constant, perhaps scared of a little change? Ah HAIR. such a seemingly superficial part of our lives, and yet so powerful. Your bangs fit you swimmingly and you just glow a twilit lovely glow.

    Anyway, I admire your journeys, the swamp, the Safeway, the toys along for the ride (so familiar) just all of it. And I appreciate your cardboard compost tips. My version of compost has always been: take out all my kitchen scraps to the far corner of the yard and let them linger there. Let the deer and raccoons pick out what they will, they let the rest decompose down into soil, sometimes to see a potato sprout grow or a pumpkin plant start, but not enough care to keep any of that growing. Anyway, when we do plant something we take soil from that corner and it does seem rich.

    Okay more superficiality: you're the cutest thing I've ever seen, a kitchen witchwife extraordinaire, and one of my favorite compliments from Darin long ago, I think applies to you too: You're going to be a beautiful old woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DOLLY!!!!!! yawzzers!! I'm late to the party! I love the hair and love how it fades. My friend is constantly dyeing her hair fun colors and lets it fade for a good month and then something new. I love your eyes in that photo of you looking up with your might fine compost!! I'm such a lazy girl if its frozen out I don't compost but any wet or sunny day I do ;) Those donuts look really good too. I love those boys xoxo and i love you and ty in beanies xoxo and can't wait to se what you cook up with that pink yarn!!!

    ReplyDelete